Monday, September 26, 2011

Money is no Sucker...Mayweather is Unbeatable.

So...

I've had some time to digest and dissect the Mayweather/Ortiz fight - and I have come to a reasonable conclusion: Money is without question a dominating and unstoppable force. He is unbeatable.

It's unfathomable. Floyd takes on (and dominates) every opponent he faces - and does so after layoffs that would certainly rust anyone else in the game. Haters want to harp on Floyd because he is "unexciting" - but the reality is, nobody is GOOD enough to force him out of his game plan. He's hard to hit...and when he does get clocked, it brings people out of their chairs. To me, that makes him very exciting (tell me you didn't start jumping around when Mosely stole him). One of the most exciting exchanges in his fight with Ortiz was when he was being backed up...truth.

For those that complain that Floyd won the Ortiz fight with a sucker punch...cool. I respect that. But put yourself in Money's shoes. He GAVE Ortiz alot of money - and a once in a lifetime opportunity. And what did Victor do? He played dirty. After trying to land a humongous flagrant foul, he felt the need to apologize THREE times. Some will say it was a noble move...I say it was stupid. If I had just butted the best fighter in the world, I would have been on guard and ready for a counter attack. His camp was well aware that Floyd is a guy who will win at all costs. The punches were legal...and truthfully, I didn't see a whole lot of complaining from Ortiz after it was all over.

As for the comments from Larry Merchant. Sheesh. I love Larry - and his comments immediately after the knockout were complimentary of Floyd. What happened in the post fight interview was completely inappropriate and contradictory. What I saw was an old man trying to enhance his legacy by trying to inflame a guy who was primed to implode mentally. After all, it's hard work being the bad guy.

That brings me to my final point. There are too many "good guys" out there. Floyd is a genius at promoting boxing events. He knows that people want to see him lose - and he knows he is never going to lose. When the Pac fight happens (and it will happen), it will be the biggest boxing event in history. He know's we'll wait another year for it...

And then after he makes Pac look silly, he'll retire. Undefeated. And then Floyd will have his most glorious victory ever - not the defeat of Pacquiao...the wind falling out of the sails of the haters. There will never be another one like him.

No comments:

Post a Comment